Annual Cardboard Boat Regatta
2:00 pm on July 15, 2017
Christiansen Lake, Talkeetna
Online registration is closed; please register at the event.
A week-long flurry of preparations culminate in the annual Cardboard Boat Regatta at Christiansen Lake. NSI has hosted the event since the summer of 2012, and boats, costumes, and characters have been proven to become ever more intricate and eccentric. Boat builders are supported prior to the regatta through a series of “Float Your Boat” workshops and access to a shop for boat construction. An award ceremony and cookout follow the regatta.
Boats must register prior to participation and pay a $40/boat registration fee. Each skipper and crew member also needs to complete and return a Release of Liability, Waiver Agreement and Media Release prior to participation.
Three categories are available for the competition:
- Kids Crew (15 and under)
- Adult Crew (16 and over)
- Family Crew (intergenerational)
1) Cardboard boats will be tested in a 100-meter race on Christiansen Lake. Boats will race in heats based on the age of the crew. Judges will determine winners in each of these categories:
- New for 2017! Jury Rig Award (boats built on site between 12:00-2:00 pm, basic supplies provided)
- Fastest Boat Award
- Most Creative Award
- Titanic Award (most dramatic sinking)
- Commodore’s Pride Award (bribe$ gladly accepted)
2) Have fun! Be safe! All crew must wear a PFD.
3) The boat’s hull must be made of corrugated cardboard (unwaxed only) and may be constructed and sealed with caulk, glue, and paint. Tape may only be used on seams.
4) Above the hull, the boat may include additional materials as long as they don’t aid in its flotation. Creativity and imagination are encouraged.