Northern Susitna Institute’s mission is to provide students of all ages the opportunity to learn, share ideas and develop real life skills through a variety of experience-based programs and community partnerships. The Northern Susitna Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Fundamental Values and Beliefs
Underlying all endeavors of the Northern Susitna Institute are five essential beliefs about education and learning that guide our actions and decisions:
- Students can best learn to think critically and creatively and to develop their capabilities through a diverse program of applied-learning and experience-based courses, activities, and projects that take place in the real world.
- Experience-based and applied learning should be accessible to a broad range of students of every age, culture and socio-economic background.
- Members of our community and the world are capable of contributing to the education of every child and to the education of one another.
- Sufficient and convincing evidence of student achievement can be provided through direct, performance-based assessments.
- It is possible to develop innovative solutions to educational problems by sharing knowledge and thinking creatively in a collaborative effort.