The mission of the North House Folk School is:
to enrich lives and build community
by teaching traditional northern crafts
in a student-centered learning environment
that inspires the hands, the heart and the mind.
Five basic tenets guide all programs and classes at the folk school:
- Create a rich, positive environment that inspires lifelong learning in a non-competitive environment.
- Promote and preserve the knowledge, skills, crafts and stories of the past and present.
- Help students recognize and develop their creativity, talents and interests in a student-centered environment that affirms individual differences.
- Foster the concept of inter-generational learning.
- Provide creative and meaningful opportunities for individuals, families and groups.
The learning that is emphasized is inspired by the Scandinavian “folkehøjskole” where learning is valued for its own sake. The focus is on traditional methods and technologies and their application in a variety of areas.
To learn more about the Folk School, click here.